INTRODUCTION -- JIM MORGAN
JIM MORGAN has been active in his community since graduating from law school in 1968. HE SERVED THREE TERMS IN THE NORTH CAROLINA HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES, REPRESENTING GUILFORD COUNTY.
JIM has served as PRESIDENT or CHAIRMAN of over Seventy- Five organizations, including: STATEWIDE ORGANIZATIONS: has served as CHAIRMAN or PRESIDENT of the North Carolina Jaycees, Metropolitan Chambers of Commerce, North Carolina Council of Bar Presidents, United Way of North Carolina, North Carolina Commission on Legal Aid in North Carolina, and North Carolina Shakespeare Festival.
REGIONAL ORGANIZATIONS: has served as CHAIRMAN of Guilford Technical Community College, High Point Regional Health Systems Board of Trustees, Hospice of the Piedmont, Guilford County Bar (18), Alcohol and Drug Services of Guilford, Guilford Technical Community College Foundation, Triad Chambers of Commerce, NCCJ Walk as One Committee, Guilford Education Alliance, High Point District Trustees-United Methodist Church, UNC-G, Bryan Economic Development Council, Piedmont Triad Aerotropolis Project, Cornerstone Foundation, Junior Achievement of Central NC, UNC-Bryan School Business Advisory Board, Piedmont Triad Partnership, High Point Area Arts Council, YMCA Metro Board, YMCA South Field Committee 1990-1994, YMCA Trustees.
BUSINESS ORGANIZATIONS: has served as CHAIRMAN of High Point Chamber of Commerce, High Point Merchants Association, High Point Economic Development Corporation, High Point Convention and Visitors Bureau in 1992-1994, 1999-2001, 2009-2010, High Point Partners and the Piedmont Triad Partnership.
SCHOLARSHIP COMMITTEES: 1.Chairman Scholarship Committee High Point Jaycees-1982- 2000.2.Nido Quebin Scholarship Committee 1995-1999.
CHAIRMAN BUILDING COMMITTEE FOR: l. High Point Country Club. (Emerywood Club House), 2.Restoration of the High Point Train Depot, 3. Hospice Home of High Point 4. The Spirit Center home of the North Carolina Festival Shakespeare, 5.Purchase New Cultural Arts Center for the High Point Arts Council, 2012.
HE WAS FOUNDING CHAIRMAN OF HIGH POINT COMMUNITY FOUNDATION, SERVING FROM 1990 TO 2003, FOUNDING CHAIRMAN OF GUILFORD EDUCATION ALLIANCE 2002-2006 AND FOUNDING CHAIRMAN CORNERSTONE CHARITABLE FOUNDATION 2008-2012.
•1. Young Man of the Year for High Point on two occasions and One of the Five Outstanding Young Men in North Carolina on two occasions. He is the only individual to be recognized on two occasions. (1973, 1974)
•2. Appointed to Training and Standard Council by Governor Robert Scott. (1972)
•3. Legislator of the Year by Good Government Committee, Nurses Association, Wild Life Commission and North Carolina Trial Lawyers. (Ranked top four most influential legislators in NC House) 1980
•4. Most Outstanding Local Jaycees President Linn B. Garibaldi Award (1973, Most Outstanding State Jaycees President Clayton Forest Award (1976) Life Member North Carolina Jaycees (1976).
•5. Order of Long Leaf Pine - by Governor Holshouser and Governor Hunt
•6. Freedom Guard Award for Outstanding Service - Community, Religious, Governmental Activities (1978). High Point Civitian' s Community Service Award and High Point Jaycee Life Membership (1980).
•7. Who's Who in North Carolina, and Who's Who in American Law
8. U.S. Jaycee Hall of Leadership - Tulsa, Oklahoma (1985)
9. Jaycee International Senate and a United States Jaycee Ambassador
- 10. Mary Libb Joyce Award - Service to High Point Museum (1989)
- 11. High Point Enterprise Citizen of the Year (199l)Honaary Chair Team Walk for March of Dimes (1993)
•12. High Point University - Distinguished Service to Community Award (1995)
•13. Pete Peyton Award - Preservation of History of High Point (1997)
•14. High Point Chamber of Commerce Distinguished Citizens Award (1998)
•15. North Carolina/High Point bar Centennial Award - Exemplary Community Service
(lst Award) (1999) Plaque in Guilford County Courthouse-High Point.
•16. North Carolina Grand Lodge of Mason - Order St John of Jerusalem for Service to
Humanity (2000) Rotary Paul Harris Fellow (2001).
•17. International Home Marketing Authority - Founding member (2001)
•18. High Point Human Relations Commission - Humanitarian of Year (2002)
19. Guilford College Alumni Excellence Award (2004)
•20. High Point Chamber of Commerce Small Business Advocate of the Year (2005)
•21. Ann & Jim Morgan Community Room dedicated GTCC Campus, High Point, NC (2005)
•22. Junior Achievement Business Leaders Hall of Fame (2005) (over)
- 23. Triad Business Journal-Named one of the Most Influential in Triad (2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014.)
- 24. Algernon Sydney Sullivian Award for Humanitarian Service (Guilford College - 2006)
- 25. North Carolina Bar Association - I. Beverly Lake Public Service Award (2006)
- 26. High Point Economic Development Corporation - Named Chairman Emeritus (2007)
- 27. Cumberland School of Law, Samford University-Distinguished Alumni of the Year (2008)
- 28. High Point Arts Council Mayor ' s Award for Support of the Arts (2008)
- 29. Chairman 's Inspiration Award - High Point United Way (2008)
- 30. Father of the Year - American Diabetes Association (2009)
- 31. North Carolina State Bar Distinguished Service Award for Exemplary Services to the Legal Profession (2009)
- 32. Emeritus Master of the Bench - Guilford Inn of Court - Contribution to Bench and Bar (2009)
- 33. Chairman Emeritus - Guilford Education Alliance - Founding Chairman (2009)
- 34. YWCA Good Friend Award - Service to YWCA of High Point (2010)
- 35. High Point Public Library - Ann & Jim Morgan Community Room dedicated (February 10, 2010)
- 36. Honorary Inductee-Beta Gamma Sigma - Bryan School of Business, UNC, Greensboro, NC (April 7, 2010)
- 37. Chairman Guilford Heart and Stroke Walk May 22, 2010 over $300,000.00 raised.
- 38. North Carolina Bar Association - General Practice Hall of Fame (June 2010)
- 39. North Carolina Hospital Association - Trustee of the Year (July 2010)
- 40. National Conference for Community & Justice of _ the Piedmont Triad, Inc. - 2010 Brotherhood/Sisterhood Citation Award (November 17, 2010)
- 41. Honorary Chairman 2010 and 2011 High Point Alzheimer ' s Walk Each year goal was surpassed.
- 42. Most Votes-1st Annual Dancing with the Stars Community in School-April, 2011.
- 43. Honorary Chairman North Carolina Marathon Walk- 2011.
- 44. Inaugural Class- Leaders in the Law Lawyer Weekly and Elon School of Law September 22, 2011.
- 45. Business Leader Magazine-Top Fifty Entrepreneurs-February 22, 2012.
- 46. Schiffmann Leadership Award Honoree, Our State Magazine. - May, 2012.
- 47. Top Rated Lawyers-Wall Street Journal, Charlotte Observer The American Lawyer- December 2012.
- 48. High Point Arts Council Individual Support of the Arts Award for 2013-July 30, 2013.
- 49. Lifetime Achievement Award-Arthritis Foundation, October 24, 2013.50. Family Promise of Greater Guilford Service Award, March 27, 2014.
- 50. American Registry Most Honored Professionals, September, 2014.
- 51. American Flag over U.S. Capitol-Honoring Ann & Jim Morgan for community service by Congressman Howard Coble. October 13, 2014(Columbus Day)
- 52. First Partner of Distinction Award. As founding board member with twenty-four years of service to the High Point Partners. October 28, 2014.
- 53. Special Congressional Recognition/Congressman Coble for Outstanding & Invaluable Community Service, December 4, 2014.
He PRESENTLY serves as CHAIRMAN of the following: High Point Preservation Society and Welcome High Point. He is a past President of the High Point and Guilford County Bar Associations. Managing Partner and Attorney at Law in the firm of Morgan, Herring, Morgan, Green & Rosenblutt, and L.L.P. He and his firm are rated AV by Martindale-Hubbell -- Highest rating given to attorneys. He is a 32 Mason, Scottish rite, and Shriner. MEMBER - CHRIST UNITED METHODIST CHURCH Superintendent: Sunday School Department (1969-1972) President: Men's Club, Christ United Methodist Church (1972)Sunday school Teacher: Christian Fellowship Class, Friendly Bible/Big Brothers Class (1982-Present) Chairman: Administrative Board, Christ United Methodist Church (1982-1987)Christian Service Award: Bill Wood Class, Christ United Methodist Church (1988) Chairman: Board of Trustees, Christ United Methodist Church
(1988-1990) Delegate: Western North Carolina Conference, Methodist Church (1989, 1990, 1991,
1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998) Chairman: Board of Trustees, High Point District United Methodist Church (1990-1998) Lay Leader: Christ United Methodist Church (1994-1999) Certified Lay Speaker: United Methodist Church- Married to Ann Tinsley Morgan, and they have two children and six grandchildren. Lea Evans Morgan, a Magnum Cum Laude graduate of Wake Forest university and UNC Law School Graduate, is an attorney. She and daughter, Mary Elizabeth Pflaging and sons, Clay organ Pflaging and Christopher James Pflaging, live in Matthews, NC. James F. "Jef" Morgan, II, a graduate of North Carolina State University, is employed by Smart Choice. He and his wife, Christi and son, James Franklin Morgan, III, daughters, Emily Hampton Morgan and Anna Kathryn Morgan, live in High Point, North Carolina.
JAMES F. "JIM" MORGAN
SERVICE TO LEGAL PROFESSION AS AN ATTORNEY:
1970: American Bar Association, Young Lawyers Section, Awards Committee Chairman of the Board
1971-1973: High Point Legal Services
1974: Chairman of the NC Commission on Legal Aid in North Carolina
1975: Chairman, Cumberland School of Law, Alumni Association for N011h Carolina
1980: Chairman of the NC Legislative Study Commission on Alcoholic Beverage Control
1981-1982: Chairman of the Alcoholic Beverage Control Commission-NC Legislature Chairman of the Judiciary, III Committee-NC Legislature
1989-1990: Chairman of the NC Legislature Juvenile Law Study Commission President of the High Point Bar Association
1995-1996: President of the Guilford County Bar Association (18'11 Judicial Bar)
1997: Chairman of the Committee to place a Portrait of Judge Byron Haworth in the Guilford County Courthouse, High Point, NC
1999-2000: Chairman of the NC Council of Bar Presidents
1999: The NC/High Point Bar Association Centennial Award (I51 award given in High Point) (Plaque in Guilford County Courthouse, High Point, NC)
2000: Chairman of the Committee to place a Portrait of Judge Sammie Chess in Guilford County Courthouse, High Point, NC
2007-2008: NC Bar Association-I. Beverly Lake Public Service Award NC Bar Association-Citizen Lawyer Committee
2009: Presented the Cumberland School of Law National Alumni of the Year Award N011h Carolina Bar Distinguished Service Award for Exemplary Service to the Legal Profession
2010: Emeritus Master of the Bench-Guilford Inn of Court-Contribution to Bench and at North Carolina Bar Associates-General Practice Hall of Fame
201 1: Inaugural Class-Leaders in The Law Given Lawyer Weekly and Elon School of Law September 22, 201 1
Areas Of Practice
- Personal Injury
- Zoning & Governmental Relations
- North Carolina, 1969
- U.S. District Court Middle District of North Carolina, 1970
- Cumberland School of Law, Samford University, Birmingham, Alabama
- J.D. - 1969
- Guilford College
- B.A. - 1966
Honors and Awards
- Young Man of the Year for High Point
- Young Man of the Year for High Point
- Young Men in North Carolina
- Young Men in North Carolina
- Legislators of the Year (Ranked Top Four Most Influential Legislators in NC House)
- Most Outstanding Local
- State Jaycees President
- Order of Long Leaf Pine, Governor Holshouser and Governor Hunt
- Freedom Board Award Outstanding Service, Community, Religious, Governmental Activities
- Who's Who in North Carolina
- Who's Who in American Law
- U.S. Jaycee Hall of Leadership
- Jaycee International Senate
- United States Jaycee Ambassador
- Mary Libb Joyce Award
- High Point Enterprise Citizen of the Year
- High Point University - Distinguished Service to Community Award
- Pete Peyton Award - Preservation of History of High Point
- High Point Chamber of Commerce Distinguished Citizens Award
- North Carolina/High Point Bar Centennial Award
- Exemplary Community Service (1st Award)
- North Carolina Grand Lodge of Mason, Order St. John of Jerusalem for Service to Humanity
- Founding Member, International Home Marketing Authority
- High Point Human Relations Commission - Humanitarian of Year
- Guilford College Almm Excellence Award
- High Point Chamber of Commerce Small Business Advocate of the Year
- Junior Achievement Business Leaders Hall of Fame
- Algernon Sydney Sullivian Award for Humanitarian Service
- North Carolina Bar Association - I. Beverly Lake Public Service Award
- High Point Economic Development Corporation - Named Chairman Emeritus
- Cumberland School of Law, Samford University - Distinguished Alumni of the Year
- High Point Arts Council Mayor's Award for Support of the Arts
Professional Associations and Memberships
- High Point Bar Association, Secretary-Treasurer, 1970 to 1971
- High Point Bar Association, President, 1989 to 1990
- 18th Judicial District, Treasurer, 1970 to 1971
- 18th Judicial District, President, 1995 to 1996
- North Carolina Bar Association, Member, Awards Committee, 1971 to 1971
- American Bar Association, Member, Awards Committee, 1971 to 1971
- North Carolina State Bar, Chairman
- North Carolina Council of Bar, President
- North Carolina Trial Lawyers Association, Member
- North Carolina House of Representatives, Member, 1977 to 1982
- Phi Alpha Delta